viernes, 8 de junio de 2007

“Men do less than they ought unless they do all they can.” –Thomas Carlyle

June 8, 2007
So this morning there was a small earthquake here! Unfortunately I was asleep when it happened so I missed it!! I was really bummed out when I found out I missed it, hopefully there will be another one when I’m awake, a small one of course just so that I can tell people what it’s like to be in an earthquake and then its cool. You see Jason is like my mentor and he taught me how to talk about things so that people think you’re really cool. The conversation goes something like this:

Me (when anyone in the conversation brings up anything even remotely similar to an earthquake): Oh yeah, earthquakes feel really weird, I remember when I was in one it was kind of scary.
Other person: You were in an earthquake!?
Me: Oh yeah! I don’t know if I told you that, but I was in Guatemala for the summer and anyways there was an earthquake, it was crazy.
Other person: Oh wow that’s amazing!
Me (really humble): oh yeah well it’s not really that big of a deal, I mean I guess they only happen to people like once in a lifetime, but whatever, I guess I was just lucky like that!

I’ve seen Jason use this formula a 1000 different times talking about anything he thinks is cool. The key he’s shown me is in a phrase like, “Oh I don’t know if you knew this… but etc…” If you can’t think of any cool thing that’s happened to you can always just use the default phrase, “I don’t know if you knew this but I’m kind of a big deal… People know me.” And if you use the two in conjunction, the combination is deadly! Sorry Jason I don’t mean to be telling your secrets I just wanted to increase the traffic to my blog and I know that this is a sure way to do it!

23 The number of separate indigenous languages spoken in Guatemala
1,000,000 The approximate number of K’iche speakers worldwide
25 BYU football’s preseason ranking according to the Sporting News
7.56 The number of Quetzals that equal 1 dollar
7 The amount of money in dollars my little brother earns for a days work
as a tuktuk driver (A Tuk Tuk is a little three wheeler motorcycle taxi
thing)
1 The number of times I’ve bathed in the last week (It’s not my fault mom
I just have to wait until my family uses the tuj that’s the only chance I
get!)
1.28 The amount of money, in dollars, it costs for a huge 72 pack of Can o
Can’s (The Guatemalan version of Oreo)
67 The number of days till I come home (Rachel I don’t know if your busy
but could you come pick me up from the airport?)

6 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

well, (humble) you know i've been in probably more than 5 earthquakes NOT including the ones i haven't felt...

Anónimo dijo...

this is jessica t... rachel's sister

Rachel dijo...

yes dustin, i do believe i can squeeze in some time to pick you up:) (!!!!!)
sorry you missed the exciting earthquake! haha maybe next time we're in california you'll be able to experience one.

Lindsey dijo...

I don't know if you knew this but not only am I a big deal but I've been through a hurricane.

I just wanted to try out the "system". I already feel cooler! Hey how about you stop through Houston on your way home with a big package of those oreo's???

Rachel dijo...

HOly cow! already counting down the days till you come home!? If it helps there is a cool video of Rachel in our McVideo section on our blog.

Rachel dijo...

oops, this is Pace not rachel